WAESO Spring 2020

Abstract: Arizona: Lakes, Ponds, and Canals potential impacts of chemical exposures on aquatic bird species 
Surface water in metro-Phoenix is contaminated due to urban pollutants, impacts from water reuse, soils, and other human interactions. Harmful contaminant levels, in addition to Nitrate-N, Phosphate- P, temperature, and dissolved O2 may possibly have negative consequences on resident and visiting bird species’ populations. Therefore, we conducted a two-year study of bird use of urban aquatic resources across the metro-Phoenix area, which has raised concerns about the transfer of chemical contaminants from surface water to bird species. The pattern that we see in bird populations in urban aquatic resources appears to be seasonal, with some study sites showing a year-round pattern of use. For highly-used aquatic sites in particular, we report concentrations of water contaminants that may be impacting aquatic bird species. Given that Phoenix is part of the Urban Bird Treaty program, it is important to document the potential impacts of urban contaminants on resident and visiting bird species in order to sustain urban bird populations and improve conservation outcomes.

Image result for waeso logo

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great project! Have you been working on it the entire two years? I'm getting ready to transfer, and I really enjoy research, so I'm hoping to join a project. I remember joining my first project was a little daunting because I had to go through all the background research and data that had already been collected. I'd love to hear more about the difference between the working environment before and after you transferred. I'm starting to feel a little nervous about going to a school with what I imagine are so many more moving parts. I hope that I can find a project as interesting as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post Week 12

Blog Post Week 6