"Oh The Places You'll Go" . . .


“It's not what you achieve, it's what you overcome. That's what defines your career." —Carlton Fisk

Growing up in a strict Hispanic Household my siblings and I were always told that we needed to become doctors when we grew up. That if we were doctors we would have a stable bright future. So of course in High School I would tell everyone that I would grow up to be a Doctor. I didn’t know what kind of doctor, I just knew I was going to be a doctor. Once I graduated High School and enrolled at Phoenix College, I told my advisor, “I want to be on the path that will make me a doctor”. So for 2 years I was taking all my pre-requisites to be a doctor. It wasn’t until my second year at Phoenix College and almost close to graduation that I wanted to be an ophthalmologist. So I looked online and started studying for my Optometry Entrance Exam (OAT). During that Summer 2019 of pure studying I also worked with Dr. Polidoro in her environmental/ Toxicology Research Lab and fell in love with Marine conservation and water quality. But I also did not want to let go of what I had worked so hard for. I was stuck between two different career and had no idea what path to take. Until I Look at that Quote above. Though I am not 100% certain what career choice to take I know which once will make me happiest.

So to wrap this all up. I want to advice everyone to always follow what will make you happy. And never turn your back on new opportunities and the chance to learn more than what you already know . . . 

 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jasmine! I completely understand what you are going through! I've felt the same and for many years I had no idea where I was heading with my career until a year ago I finally decided on graphic design and web development. I have had so many opportunities open up and I am glad that I've chose this career so far!

    #StemW1SMCCF19

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post Week 12

Blog Post Week 6

WAESO Spring 2020