Blog Post Week 7

Screening Sediment from Phoenix College

This week I spent one full day screening the sediment that was collected just outside of Phoenix college, I then put the sediment into a heating container that was at a temperature of 74 degrees for one whole week. What this allowed it to do is dry the sediment and allow it to break easily so that it would be able to go through the process of screening the sediment. Then after a week passed Matt gave a tool that looked somewhat like a strainer, only that this one was exactly measured at 2mm. The reason because is because anything greater than 2mm is not considered sediment. I ran the sediment through the 2mm tool at which it separated real sediment compared to other particles like maybe rocks and other particles that were inside the dirt.

This is not the tool Matt gave me but a picture I found on google, but this is somewhat of what the stainer looks like. After that was finished what we did next is get ready to create the protocol from separating microplastics from regular water.

Comments

  1. Hey Jasmine, I'm sorry if you mentioned this before in another blog post but what exactly are you going to do with the sediments? In other words, what will you use the sediments for? On the other hand, keep me updated on how you plan to separate microplastics from water! I hope it’s fun while doing so! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post Week 12

WAESO Spring 2020

Blog Post Week 6